Math CenterPrinter Friendly Version

Math Center

1. Contact Us

1.1. Appointments and how to contact the Math Center

The Math Center is home to advising for majors and minors in either Mathematics or Statistics & Data Science.  Students needing assistance with math enrollment, transfer credit, placement, or other issues not necessarily relating to our majors or minors may stop by the Math Academic Office window at room 108 of the Math building during business hours. The academic office's email is; phone:  (520) 626-9837; click here to access their knowledge base.  

Contact the Math Center By Email:  Email - Math Center staff check messages frequently throughout the day when offices are open. 

There is also an online form for submitting a question.

Appointment scheduling: We have an online appointment scheduling tool.  (See the Schedule an Advising Appointment link near the top right of any page within this knowledge base.) Within the scheduling tool, you may select an available appointment time, and it is immediately reserved for you. 

Drop-in advising:  Have a quick question?  Check the Math Center calendar to see if drop-in hours are available.  

Math department minor changes:  Want to add or remove one of our minors (math, SDS, or math education)?  Submit your request here.  

Additional information:

All of our online forms also feed into the messages.  The first available staff member who is able to answer your submission will get back to you.  Whenever possible, we try to reply by the next business day (if not sooner).

Since our staff are frequently in appointments with students or meetings and unable to answer the phone, calling the Math Center is not recommended.

 Note:  many questions are answered already in our knowledge base; please use the "What are you looking for?" search box at the top of the screen to see if you can get an immediate answer. 


1.2. Using Zoom for Advising Appointments and Drop-ins

Advising staff in the Math Center want to encourage students to use Zoom, an online meeting tool, when in-person appointments are not feasible. 

In case you are not familiar with Zoom, here are some basics to get you started:


  • If a Zoom appointment is selected (in some cases, it may be the only option available), your appointment confirmation email will include a Zoom link, personalized for your meeting. You will use this link to connect to your advisor. We suggest you click the link to log in (with your NetID and password) a few minutes ahead of your appointment. Your advisor should have set up a "waiting room" for you in Zoom, so you will not need to worry about interrupting a previous appointment. If you can't find your appointment confirmation or reminder email, log in to to view the appointment details including the link there.


  • If Drop-ins are scheduled via Zoom, there will be a Zoom link in the Drop-in calendar event - click on that to connect to your advisor once the drop-in time has started.
  • Note: As with appointments above, the advisor should have set up a "waiting room" in Zoom. If the advisor is already talking with a student, you may need to wait. There could also be other students waiting "in line" for advising. We will do our best to keep these sessions short (5-10 minutes). Please help us out with this by scheduling an appointment if you have lots of questions or a complicated situation that may need more time.
  • Because of the nature of drop-ins, your advisor may have only one connection method available at a time; please send us an email to let us know if you need to connect by phone but are not able to find availability. 


  • There is a Zoom app, which you may download and use if you choose. When joining a meeting, you will likely be prompted to download the app, but you are not required to do so.
  • UA has chosen to purchase a campus license for Zoom, allowing faculty, staff, and students to use the software free of charge. 
  • While Zoom allows for videoconferencing, you are not required to use a camera to show video of yourself. In fact, your advisor will likely be sharing their computer screen with you, so you can view relevant information like course plans, etc. You do need the following attached to your computer or mobile device:
    • A microphone
    • Speakers
  • A good internet connection is important for Zoom to work well. Disabling your video sharing can help some, and is not usually necessary anyway. Keep in mind that you may use UAWifi when on campus, and there are also computer labs available - please use headphones with a microphone (often included with cell phones) to avoid disturbing others.
  • To test that Zoom is set up correctly, you can join a test meeting at You can make sure your microphone input, speaker output, and camera (if you wish to use one) are working correctly.
  • In case connecting by WiFi is a problem, it is possible to connect to some Zoom meetings by phone. Steps:
    1. Dial an in-country Zoom telephone number
    2. Enter your meeting ID followed by a #. Your advisor will need to share this meeting ID with you from their Zoom profile. If you don't have it, please email to ask.
    3.  If the meeting has not already started and Join Before Host is not enabled, you will be prompted: If you are participant, press # to wait.

Because of the screen sharing feature and the ability to connect without phone numbers (avoiding possible long distance charges) we think Zoom provides a great alternative to a phone appointment for students who are not able to visit their advisor in person, due to illness, scheduling, or for students who are not yet in Tucson. It is also an option for providing availability to students in some situations when an advisor is unable to come to campus.

For more detailed information about Zoom for student use (including how you can set up your own Study Group using the tool), see 

Need help? Try the 24/7 IT support center.

1.3. COVID updates: testing, vaccinations, in-person classes, etc

To keep our campus community safe and also offer the best possible educational experience for our students, the university is offering a mixture of instruction modes including iCourses (asynchronous online), Live Online courses (synchronous online), Flex In-Person (hybrid), and In-Person courses. Each class section has an instruction mode listed in the schedule.

The class schedule also designates "Stages" for any courses with in-person meetings in order to communicate which classes are meeting in-person at any given time. For help understanding the class format/instruction mode and the Stage information for your classes, please see

  • Stage 1 courses are considered "essential" to have in-person class meetings; for example, some science labs and some dance classes are designated as Stage 1 classes.
  • Stage 2 courses are non-essential courses that meet partly or fully in-person, and have size < 50.
  • Stage 3 courses are non-essential courses that meet partly or fully in-person, and have size < 100.
  • Any courses of size 100+ will be online (either Live Online or an iCourse) at least through Spring 2021.

Campus administration review the public health situation continually, and President Robbins holds weekly press briefings to keep everyone informed about which stage we are in, and plans for progressing to the next stage. Briefings and announcements are available on the campus covid19 update page. This page also includes information about virus testing and the Wildcat WellCheck program and other mandatory items for students participating in on-campus activities of any kind. Communications about vaccine distribution will continue to be posted there as well  see the Latest Communications section to view emails you may have missed.

Information about the class formats and measures taken to protect the campus community are available on the campus reentry webpage.

For summer 2021, the Math Department has already decided to offer only Live Online and iCourses, so that students and faculty may make their plans without waiting for an announcement from the campus administration.

Advising will continue to be offered remotely for the foreseeable future; the Math Center is assisting students via email, Zoom, and phone. Access the drop-in advising calendar and the Trellis appointment scheduler through the links at the top right of this page:  

2. Prospective Students

2.1. How do I declare a major in mathematics or statistics & data science?

You officially declare a major in Mathematics or Statistics & Data Science (SDS) by completing an online info session, then meeting with an advisor in the Math Center. You will receive information on scheduling the meeting after completion of the info session.

When you meet with an advisor, you will be able to familiarize yourself with the Math Center and ask questions not answered in the info session. The Math Center also assigns faculty advisors to students for more personalized in-depth advising, once students have progressed in the major. In addition, you may want to ask for information about opportunities for math or SDS majors to get involved in research experiences, internships, campus activities (including the MathCats and/or Risk Runners clubs), and career exploration.

Math or SDS majors who wish to add another major or change their major to something else will need to contact the department offering the new major.  The Advising Resource Center on campus maintains a directory of major advisors.

2.2. I plan to transfer to the UA as a math or SDS major. How can I obtain advising through that process?

For students who are currently attending a community college or another university, emailing the Math Center is the best way to get advice about what courses to take before transferring to the UA. There are also several resources you can use to check how your courses will transfer on your own.

If you email the Math Center, please include screenshots or PDFs of your unofficial transcripts from all higher education institutions. If you have AP or other exam credits, it can also be helpful to include those. This will allow us to accurately determine which degree requirements you have already met.

If you have already been accepted to the UA as a transfer admit, please register for a Transfer Orientation Session through your Next Steps Center as soon as possible. As part of your orientation, you will meet one-on-one with a Math Center advisor to go over your requirements and plan out your course schedule. You will gain access to register only after your orientation. Please do not schedule an advising appointment before your orientation - it is not possible to bypass the orientation requirement.

2.3. Where can I find a sample 4-year plan for the math or statistics & data science major?

2.4. What kind of computer should I get if I am a Math or SDS major?

There is no one preferred computer for Math or SDS majors. Students (and faculty/staff) may use Windows, macOS, or even Linux. 

Note that our UAWiFi does not currently work with some Chromebooks (as of Summer 2019).

Many courses will expect students to have access to Microsoft Office products (e.g. Word, Excel) or compatible programs. The university provides free software licenses for Microsoft Office, among other programs, to current students. Courses in the Math Department may require students to access free software including MATLAB, R, Python, and LaTeX. SDS majors needing to work with large data sets will be able to access campus computing resources.

Some UA Colleges/Departments have their own technology requirements; students who will have an additional major should check for specific standards when purchasing technology. For example:

2.5. How do I declare the math or SDS minor?

If you prefer, you can email us directly at; please include your ID number and send your request from your official UA email account.

Your major advisor can also add the math minor for you. Degree requirements for our minors may be found on our Undergraduate Program Requirements page.

We have a Mathematics Education minor as well; this minor is ONLY available to students in majors that lead to certification for secondary teaching.  To add the Math Education minor, submit your request to the Math Center here .

Note: if you are an incoming student, we will not be able to declare the minor for you until after your orientation. Please hold your request until then. We will be happy to answer questions in the meantime!

Questions?  The Math Center is happy to help; just send us an email.

3. Current Students

3.1. I am a math or SDS major; how do I make an advising appointment?


Schedule your appointment through Trellis.  Appointments are usually 20 minutes, but are scheduled on the hour or half hour to allow a little buffer time.

The scheduling tool also displays drop-in hours, which change from week to week.  Appointments are not available during drop-in hours; they are first-come, first-served and meant for quick sessions (5-10 minutes at most).


If you would like to meet with your faculty advisor, email them directly to set up a time.  Their contact information can be found on our website.  If you don't know who your faculty advisor is, contact the Math Center to inquire.



3.2. Priority registration advising

Advising for Priority Registration begins once the next semester's schedule is published (in Fall, this is around October 1; in Spring, it is around March 1).  Enrollment opens about a month after the schedule is posted. Please note that once the schedule has been published, it will usually still require some updates.

Appointments:  Due to high demand for advising, appointments during priority registration advising are reserved for math or statistics major business.  Use the Schedule an Advising Appointment link at the top right of this or any page within the Knowledge Base.

Enrollment issues/questions:  Students who have questions about enrolling in a math class may stop by our Academic Office (the counter at room 108 of the Math building) during business hours for assistance.  If you have questions about enrolling in a course that does not have the "MATH" or "DATA" prefix, please contact the offering department.

Drop-ins for math/stat minors and majors:  Math or Stat minors and majors who need only 5-10 minutes for questions may stop by to talk with an advisor during drop-in advising hours.  Availability for drop-ins is posted in the appointment calendar linked above, here:, and on paper outside of our advisors' offices (Math building rooms 221 and 217).  If an "Open for Drop-ins" sign is posted, drop-ins are in progress!  Drop-ins are first-come, first-served (no appointments). There may be a wait at times.

Email:  Many questions may be answered by email: 

Knowledge base:  and some are answered in our Knowledge Base:




3.3. I am a math or SDS major. How do I find out who my faculty advisor is?

Unfortunately, UAccess was not set up to allow us to provide this information in your UAccess account.  You can always request the information from Math Center staff will be happy to send along the name and contact information for your faculty advisor.  If drop-in advising hours are convenient, you can also stop in to ask.


The Math Center will email every math and SDS major in the first part of each semester (typically in late September and late February) as students are beginning to prepare for priority registration.  This message comes from, and will also include information about your current emphasis (and how to update it if you wish to do so), academic level, and more.  


3.4. I am having trouble getting in touch with my faculty advisor. What should I do?


If you have tried to get in touch with your faculty advisor and have not gotten a response within a reasonable time frame*, please contact the Math Center. We can help!


*It may take a few days for a faculty advisor to reply; possibly longer in the summer or during winter break (many faculty spend their breaks away from campus).  If you don't hear back in a few days during the school year, don't be shy about trying again. You may also want to check your faculty advisor's profile page on our website to see if your faculty advisor has posted office hours there; while office hours are intended more for help with classes that the professor is teaching, they can be a good time to stop in and set up an advising appointment. 



3.5. Where can I find the requirements for my math or statistics & data science major?


If you have already declared a major in math or SDS, the best place to look is your advisement report in UAccess (see the Advising menu in your Student Center).  Your advisement report shows all of the requirements for your degree, including your major requirements.  However, math majors who have not yet selected an emphasis will not see requirements specific to their emphasis until it has been officially declared. (You can declare or change your emphasis by emailing the Math Center or meeting with a Math Center advisor.)

The math and SDS major requirements for the current academic catalog are posted on our website:

We also maintain an archive of requirements from past catalogs, accessible from the page above.  Note that students by default are typically placed into the catalog that was in place when they entered the U of A.  However, students have the option to select a newer catalog if they wish, up until the degree is completed.



3.6. What is the degree check process for my math or SDS major?

If Math or Statistics & Data Science is NOT your primary major, then check with your primary major advisor for instructions. Either way, your math/SDS Faculty Advisor will be the one who signs off to approve your math/SDS major. If you are not sure who your faculty advisor is, the graduation survey provides a good opportunity to ask for this information.

If you have not yet applied for graduation, log into UAccess and select "Apply for graduation" from your To-Do list; then follow the steps from there.

After applying for graduation, you will complete a Degree Audit Worksheet (also known as "pink sheet").

Since the Math Center staff are currently working from home, please email to let us know that you need to begin your DAW. We will assist you with the process from there.


In-Person process, when available: 

If your primary major is in the math department, you can pick one up either from Nellie Rios in Mathematics room 215 (typical hours:  between 8:30 AM and 2 PM) or from the College of Science advisors in Gould-Simpson 1017You will also return the form to Gould-Simpson 1017 once you have gotten the necessary signatures:


  • Write your name and ID number on the form - IN PEN. This an official document, and pencil is not appropriate.
  • Your math faculty advisor will sign to verify your math major, and should also list any in-progress major courses on the form. If any substitutions/approvals are needed, they can mark them on the form, but it is usually nicer if you have them email those to the Math Center to be entered into your UAccess record (your Advisement Report in the My Academics section). Your advisement report *should* typically indicate that everything is satisfied with the courses you have selected for your final term.  
  • Bring your advisement report with you when you meet with your faculty advisor. He/she may or may not have access to view your complete record in UAccess; unless you are sure they have this access, you need to provide them with this information.
  • If you have any other majors in the same degree as the math or SDS major, see those advisors for additional signatures.
  • If your minor does not appear satisfied in UAccess, contact your minor advisor for instructions. Minors that DO already appear satisfied definitely do not need a signature, by university policy.
  • If you are graduating with honors from the Honors College, see your Honors College Success Counselor for a signature.
  • Return the form to Gould-Simpson 1017 for College Approval. The advisors there will fill out the GPAs, units, gen ed info., etc. They will then submit the form to Graduation Services for final processing.


3.7. I finished all of my degree requirements; when do I get my diploma? Where will my diploma be sent?

First, has your Degree Audit Worksheet (DAW) been completed and submitted?  You will not receive a diploma unless your degree check has been completed so Graduation Services can verify that all requirements are met. Email the Math Center if you need assistance with the process. 

Graduation Services advisors post degrees after all UA course grades have been submitted and all transcripts have been received from other institutions.  The Registrar's Website contains the schedule for posting degrees, information about degree verification, diploma sizes, and more.

By default, diplomas are sent to the Permanent Address you have specified in your UAccess account.  You can set a different Diploma Address there, if you wish; see the Registrar's page on updating personal information for details.


3.8. How can I earn Honors from the Honors College?

Honors for Math Majors

Below is information about course work and honors theses for Honors students majoring in Mathematics.

Honors Course Work

To graduate with honors from the Honors College, 30 units of honors course work are usually required. Some students who enter with more than 30 units of transfer work may take fewer honors units; consult your Honors Student Success Counselor for more information.

Honors Math Sections Offered

The Math Department offers a few honors courses/sections that count toward a mathematics major: courses in the Calculus sequence may have special honors sections available. These honors math courses are available to highly motivated students with strong mathematical backgrounds. Acceptance to the UA Honors College is not a requirement. Registration for each honors section is blocked until the Mathematics Department can verify student eligibility. Eligibility rules depend on:

  • Current UA Students - by nomination: Each semester, instructors of certain math courses are asked by the Mathematics Department to nominate unusually outstanding students for invitation to the honors section of certain math courses. Your instructor and/or the Mathematics Department will inform you if you are nominated, and will provide you with instructions to complete your registration.
  • Fall Incoming Freshmen - by placement: Since there is no opportunity for instructors to nominate students into their very first UA MATH course, other criteria can be used to determine honors eligibility for certain courses (usually a very high placement test score plus college credit for the prerequisite course, usually from an AP exam). Generally speaking, students are informed of their eligibility during New Student Orientation; plan to speak with a math placement advisor during the lunch time sessions at your orientation program. Eligibility is for Fall first semester Freshmen only.

Honors Contracts

Students in the Honors College may contract with the instructor of a course not otherwise available for honors, in order to earn honors credit in the course. See the Honors College website for policies and procedures.

500 Level (Graduate) Courses

Juniors and Seniors in the Honors College may enroll in 500-level courses for undergraduate honors credit. (Seniors who are not in the Honors College may also enroll in 500-level courses, if approved by the instructor, head of the department offering the course, and Dean of the Graduate College.) Students who are interested in this option should first speak to their math faculty advisor. Instructions for enrollment are on the Graduation Services website.

Recent math majors have enrolled in the following graduate courses, just to give you an idea of what is available:

  • 511A/B (Algebra),
  • 520A/B (Complex Analysis),
  • 523A/B (Real Analysis),
  • 525A/B (Real Analysis of One/Several Variables),
  • 528A/B (Bahach & Hilbert Spaces),
  • 534A/B (Topology-Geometry),
  • 537A/B (Global Differential Geometry),
  • 563 (Probability Math),
  • 588 (Topics in Mathematical Physics)

Honors Thesis


To graduate with honors from the Honors College in your major area, students need to submit a prospectus outlining their proposed thesis work, and then complete and submit a thesis through the major department. Additionally, students must meet minimum GPA and honors unit requirements - see your Honors Student Success Counselor for details, and be sure to check in regularly to ensure that you are on track to graduate with honors.

Enrolling in MATH 498H

For math majors, MATH 498H is available in Fall, Spring, and even in Summer, though faculty availability in Summer is often limited. Students must enroll in 3 units of MATH 498H for two distinct semesters (6 units total) to qualify for honors. To enroll in MATH 498H, submit the independent study proposal form from the Math Academic Office; once you have completed the form and permissions have been obtained from your thesis supervisor and faculty advisor, the Academic Office staff will process the form and enroll you in the course.

Finding a Thesis Advisor and Topic

There are a number of ways to get connected with a thesis advisor and find a research topic:

Get to know your professors.

Office hours are not just for homework help, they are also a great time to get to know your professors, and find out what research projects (if any) they have going. Also remember that you will need letters of recommendation at some point, and professors who know you well both in and outside of the classroom will write the strongest letters for you!

Enroll in MATH 396C.

MATH 396C is the Undergraduate Research Seminar, usually offered in Spring semester. The course meets once per week (1 unit), and is meant to be taken after either MATH 313 or 223. Several different faculty members will present 2-4 lectures each on research topics/projects in which undergraduates can become involved. (This course may not be used to fulfill degree requirements for the math major or minor.)

Check out the project ideas posted on our web page.

Some of our faculty have submitted information about projects that undergraduates could work on under their supervision. These project ideas are posted on our website. Students may contact the faculty members directly for more information. Please note that there are many more faculty that are happy to work with undergraduate researchers; the list is by no means exhaustive. Students may also wish to consult the list of faculty by research area.

Contact the URA program coordinator.

The coordinator of the Mathematics Department's Undergraduate Research Assistantship (URA) program, can be very helpful in connecting students with research in mathematics:

3.9. I am a math or SDS major; are there scholarships that I can apply for?

The Math Department has some funding for scholarships.  


Most of our departmental scholarships share a single application, which is generally due each year on the first Friday in April.  (See for additional information.)


When available, the application forms are linked from the scholarship descriptions on our website, and are also sent out in the weekly news message for Math and SDS majors.


Are you a Math or SDS minor, not a major? We also select the McLean Transfer scholar each fall. This scholarship is awarded to a STEM major who has completed at least one MATH course here at UArizona at the level of calculus 1 or above. See to learn more.


All students are encouraged to use to seek out additional sources of scholarship funding.

3.10. How do I "un-declare" a math major or minor?

We understand that this sometimes happens, and can easily remove a math minor or major for you via email in most cases* - just send your request from your university email account with your student ID to

*Note: If you wish to remove a math major, you will need to have another major in place. If math is your only major, you can request to have the major removed when you declare a new major; see the Advising Resource Center to find the contact information for your new major advisor. If you are interested in dropping your math major to a minor but are not sure what requirements you have left to complete, just ask the Math Center:

3.11. What if I want to study mathematics AND statistics & data science?

We encourage students to explore their interests in all areas of mathematics! All of our majors and minors require 2-3 semesters of calculus, as well as linear algebra. See our four-year plans for details.

If you are interesting in completing multiple majors or minors within the math department, please speak to an advisor, and see our departmental double dipping policies

3.12. Where can I view the requirements for a math or SDS minor?

If you have already declared a math minor, the best place to look is your advisement report in UAccess (see the Academics menu in your Student Center).  Your advisement report shows all of the requirements for your degree, including your minor requirements. 

Our department offers three minors:

  • Mathematics Minor 
  • Mathematics Teaching Minor 
  • Statistics & Data Science Minor

Each requires at least 18 units of coursework in mathematics (a minimum of 3 units must be taken at UA, and at least 6 units must come from specified upper-division offerings in MATH or DATA). Note that while the Mathematics and Statistics & Data Science minors are available to everyone*, the Mathematics Teaching Minor is available only to secondary education teaching majors.

For minor requirements, see

We also maintain an archive of requirements from past catalogs, accessible from the page above.  Note that students by default are typically placed into the catalog that was in place when they entered the U of A.  However, students have the option to select a newer catalog if they wish, up until the degree is completed.

*If you are interesting in completing multiple majors or minors within the math department, please speak to an advisor, and see our departmental double dipping policies


3.13. Can I use a course from another department in my math or SDS minor requirements?

Usually, no.  The exceptions tend to be courses where the offering department has worked with us in development of the course and (at least historically) cross-listed the course.  Since the College of Science stopped offering cross-listings between courses within the college, it may be tough to tell which courses can be used.  We hope the following notes will help to clarify:

  • ECOL 480 does count in the math minor, though the cross-listing has not been preserved.
  • PHIL/CSC/MATH 401A and 401B do count in the math minor requirements. Since these courses are offered by the Philosophy department (not in the College of Science), the cross-listing has been preserved.
  • Either CSC 245 or CSC 473 may be used in the math minor, but not both courses.
  • Sorry, though the College of Engineering offers some courses with significant math content, they do not fit the criteria for use in a math minor.

Something to keep in mind:  graduate programs and employers who view a student's transcript will expect to see a minimum number of MATH courses for a student earning a math minor.  Likewise, students earning the SDS minor should have DATA courses on their transcript.

3.14. I am a Math or SDS minor; what do I need to do for my degree check/Degree Audit Worksheet?

Most students do not need a signature for their minor, per university policy. If your minor appears satisfied in your Advisement Report (or will once you enroll in your final courses), a signature is not needed - we can save you some hassle!  The minor will be awarded as part of your degree, provided you complete any remaining courses with sufficient grades to maintain the minimum 2.0 minor GPA required by the university.

If your minor does not appear satisfied in your Advisement Report, please email your Degree Audit Worksheet to the Math Center:  You will receive an email follow-up, either with the signed DAW form or with questions about your plans for any missing requirements.

During busy times of the semester, please allow up to a week for processing. 

Important: Students with out-of-state math transfer courses MUST have the transfer credit evaluated prior to the degree check process. The degree check process will be delayed 2 weeks if out-of-state course equivalency evaluation is not yet complete. See  for instructions.


3.15. Will my Math or SDS Minor show on my degree when I graduate?

The minor will appear on your official transcripts as part of the degree that been awarded. Minors do not typically appear on diplomas, however.

4. Curriculum Changes

4.1. Changes to MATH 323 and 396L - 2020

The Math Center would like to inform our math majors and minors about some changes to MATH 323 and 396L beginning with summer and fall 2020. Until now, the prerequisite for MATH 323 was MATH 313 (with a D or better). MATH 396L (the 1-unit Wildcat Proofs workshop) was an optional way to get extra proof-writing practice.

Logic and proof-writing are essential skills for mathematicians; to improve the outcomes and the student experience for 323, we have adjusted the pre- and co-requisites. From now on, students who earn a C or higher in MATH 313 will be eligible to go on to MATH 323. However, students who earn a D in MATH 313 will have to take an additional proof-focused course - either MATH 243 or 315 - or repeat 313 for a better grade before moving forward.

In addition, students with a C or lower in 313 will be required to enroll in MATH 396L concurrently with 323. The content of this course will align more closely with that of 323, and students in other proof-based courses will no longer be able to enroll in 396L.

The enrollment requirements for MATH 323 have already been changed.

We also plan to create an honors section of MATH 323 for students who earned an A  in 313. Membership in the honors college will not be necessary or sufficient for enrollment in the honors section. We will let students know when this is ready.


Q: I earned a D in MATH 313, but what if I took CSC 245 and earned a C or better in that? I hear it's similar to MATH 243.

A: Yes, CSC 245 is similar to MATH 243. We missed this in the initial set of enrollment requirement updates, but will be adding it when we can. For now (summer/fall 2020 enrollment), you will need to contact the Math Center ( if you have a D in MATH 313, a C or better in CSC 245, and want to enroll in MATH 323.

Q: I took Intro to Linear Algebra somewhere else, and it appears as MATH 215 in my record. Am I eligible for MATH 323?

A: Yes. You must have earned a C or better in the course in order for the credit to transfer. Your course will be evaluated just like MATH 313.

Q: I need to repeat MATH 323. Do I also need MATH 396L? 

A: We strongly recommend it. While UAccess will not require you to take 396L if you earned an A or B in MATH 313, the need to repeat MATH 323 suggests that you would benefit from also taking MATH 396L.

Q: During the Spring 2020 COVID-19 situation, I changed my MATH 313 course to pass/fail grading. How does this affect my eligibility for 323? 

A: Earning a P grade in MATH 313 for Spring 2020 only will be treated as equivalent to a C (these students may enroll in MATH 323 but will also be required to enroll in MATH 396L). Students who earn an F in MATH 313 in Spring 2020 will have to repeat the course for a regular grade.

4.2. MATH 475B changes for 2020-21 and beyond

Due to a combination of low demand for the past 10 years and budget pressures, the Math Department has decided to discontinue MATH 475B after this semester, spring 2020. (There are currently only 8 students in the class.)

We will still offer MATH 475A going forward, and have approved some alternatives to MATH 475B for students who may have planned to complete the MATH 475A/475B sequence, which is part of the Applied and Computer Science emphases:

Applied emphasis - choose

MATH 475A + one from {MATH 413, 424, 443, 445, 447, 454, 456, 464} 

CS emphasis - choose

MATH 475A + one from {MATH 422, 424, 454, 456, 464, 485} 

These options will not appear in current advisement reports, so the Math Center will need to make substitutions for students. Please email when you enroll in the second course for the "sequence" as listed above, and we will make the adjustment for you.


4.3. MATH 481: new course for 2021

MATH 481 – Mathematical modeling of fluid flow through and around organs and organisms: We have decided to try offering this new course in Fall semesters; the course will be an option for students in the APPLIED and the LIFE SCIENCE emphases (these students will be able to choose between 485 and 481). The course also counts as the upper-division elective in the math MINOR.

Students who were admitted prior to Fall 2021 may not see this course option in their advisement reports; they should email the Math Center for assistance.

Details: 3 units, taught by Professor Laura Miller (she was new to the department in Fall 2020) See UAccess for scheduled days/times.

Prerequisites: MATH 223

Description: This course will focus on the mathematical modeling of fluid flows through and around organs and organisms, with an emphasis on topics of current medical and environmental interest. The natural world is replete with examples of cells, organs, and organisms whose shape influences flow to their benefit. For example, the shape of a maple seed generates lift which allows them to disperse farther. The design of the aortic valve prevents backflow during ventricular refilling while reducing disturbed regions of flow. The structure of a coral reef enhances the uptake of nutrients and the removal of wastes. A barracudas body shape reduces drag and allows it to quickly accelerate. In this course, we will mathematically describe the shape of organisms using 3D computer aided design (CAD). We will then use computational and experimental fluid dynamics to resolve the flow around 3D printed physical and numerical models. Mathematical topics will include the use of differential equations to describe fluid flow, numerical solutions of differential equations, image analysis, and the use of computational fluid dynamics software.

5. Registration and transcripts

5.1. How to Register in UAccess

To add a class, log in to your UAccess Student Center (, using your NetID and password.  From the main screen, find the Enroll link on the left side of the page; in the Enrollment area, you will find links to Add, Drop, and Swap courses, among other tasks.  In the Add tab, you can search in a few ways - see the left side of the screen shot below.  

The box labeled "Enter Class Nbr" is looking for the 5 digit code associated with a course.  (For ECON 200 in the image, it is 53893).  You will rarely know this number!  It is more typical to use Class Search or My Advisement Report (which is a list of your requirements based on degree(s), major(s), minor(s) declared at any given time).  

When you have searched for a course, selecting it will add to your shopping cart.  Be sure to click the green "Proceed to Step 2 of 3" button and follow the instructions from there to add the course from your cart to your schedule.

Adding a course to your cart does not reserve a seat for you (just like adding an item to your Amazon shopping cart does not reserve the item for you).  You must add the class to your schedule to reserve your seat.

The UA’s University Information Technology Services (UITS) department offers quick online tutorials to guide new students through each phase of the registration process.  UAccess Student is the tool used for registration. Click here to be linked to the Workshops page. Then, scroll to your desired tutorial (under UAccess Student, see "Online Student Tutorials"; also, under "Student Center", there is a practice area available).

Need Assistance?

Call 24/7 at (520) 626-TECH (8324) - 24 hours a day or visit their website at You can also visit the FAQs for students at

5.2. Can I take a graduate (500-level) class?


Students may request to register for 500-level courses if 
  • they are a Junior (at least 60 units earned) in the Honors College, or a Senior (at least 90 units earned), AND
  • they have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. 

To request enrollment, first fill out the Student Information portion of the Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses form. The form can be downloaded here. You can choose to earn Honors credit (if in the Honors College), undergraduate credit, or graduate credit. Note that graduate credit is unlikely to be useful for undergraduate students and will not count as units toward graduation. Speak with your Math Faculty Advisor or Academic Advisor if you are not sure what type of credit to request. 

Write in the course(s) to be taken and email the form to the Math Center: The Math Center will consult with your faculty advisor and instructors and contact you via email when we have an answer to your request. If approval is granted, we will help you obtain the necessary signatures. After the form is complete, we will return it to you so you can forward it to the Registrar's office at

Students should expect the process to take up to two weeks, possibly longer at busy times, so please plan ahead.



5.3. How can I get approval for a course overload?


Unit overloads

Students are limited to 19 units per semester.  Students wishing to exceed the 19 unit limit may request to do so, but only after priority registration has ended for everyone.

Procedure:  If Math or Statistics & Data Science (SDS) is your primary/first (or only) major, contact the Math Center by email from your official UA email address.  We need to know  

  • How many units you are hoping to take
  • Which courses you would be adding to your existing schedule

If we have additional questions about your course load, we will reply to your email.  Overload requests will be handled strictly through email, to ensure that we have your plans in writing.

If Math or SDS is not your primary major, you will need to check with the advisor for your primary major for instructions.  

Please note that in the College of Science, students must have a strong GPA (at least 3.0) and have demonstrated that they can handle a fairly heavy course load and still earn good grades.

MATH/DATA course overloads

Most math and SDS majors take 1-2 MATH or DATA courses in a given term.  

Students planning to enroll in three MATH or DATA courses in a single semester are advised to talk to their faculty advisor before finalizing their schedule.

The Math Department requires that students enrolling in four or more MATH or DATA courses for a single term obtain permission from their faculty advisor. Note that special courses like Supplemental Instruction, Workshops, Teaching Assistantship enrollment, Independent Study, Honors Thesis, and Pedagogy courses for the Secondary Math Education Program are not counted toward this limit.  Students who select four or more MATH or DATA courses will be contacted and given some time to consult with their faculty advisors; excess courses will be dropped if permission is not granted.




5.4. When do I register for classes?

Continuing students register for classes during Priority Registration.

New incoming students register for classes sometime near the end of the prior semester or before the new semester begins. In order to be cleared for registration, new students must have completed the requirements in their Next Steps Center and have met with their Academic Advisor.  Incoming Freshmen are required to attend an orientation session (available dates are listed in the Next Steps Center); incoming Transfer or Readmit students set up an individual advising appointment.  

5.5. How do I drop all of my classes for a semester?

There is an online process to withdraw from all classes for a given semester. Please read the important information at  before submitting your withdrawal request.

5.6. Ordering UArizona transcripts

Details for any student (current or former) needing an official or unofficial transcript may be found on the Registrar's website

If you still have questions or need assistance, you can call (520) 621-3113, or email to


5.7. Evaluation of non-math transfer work

While the Registrar's office determines whether or not transfer course work is acceptable for UA credit, it is up to individual departments to determine whether the content of a transfer course is sufficiently similar to a UA course to count as that UA course in a student's program.  Most departments are now using a common form for submission of transfer evaluations.  See

There are a few special cases:

In-State Transfers:  many in-state courses do not need evaluation; to see how your course transfers to UA, check the online course equivalency guide:



General Education:  your Academic Advisor for your primary major can either evaluate your general education coursework or give you instructions for having it evaluated.  If your primary (or only) major is Mathematics or Statistics, contact College of Science advisor Tharini “Raini” Wijeweera to request a gen ed evaluation:  Please send your message from your official UA email address and include your student ID number.


Math:  read the information at  and follow the instructions.  Placement information for transfer students is posted at  These links are also available through your Next Steps Center if you are an incoming student.

Chemistry:  read the information at and follow the instructions.

English:  read the information at  and follow the instructions.



All students must include a link or attach information to the catalog description and a detailed syllabus.  The syllabus must list the topics covered each week, the textbooks used and the number of contact hours each week.  Please submit your information well in advance to allow adequate time for review.  We cannot review courses that do not include a detailed syllabus and lab information (if applicable).

5.8. Have questions not answered here?

The Math Academic Office assists students from across campus with issues related to math enrollment, placement, transfer credit, etc.  For more extensive information about these issues, see their knowledge base.  

6. Accelerated Master's Program

6.1. Accelerated MS in Statistics

Students pursuing a statistics & data science major or a mathematics major with either the Probability & Statistics or General/Applied emphasis may be interested in applying for the Accelerated Master's Program (AMP) in Statistics.

Students who are accepted into the AMP will begin taking 500-level courses required in the Statistics M.S. degree during their final year of the undergraduate degree; these courses may also be applied to the undergraduate math or SDS major requirements. After completion of the undergraduate degree requirements, one additional year of graduate work is needed to finish the Master's degree.

The Accelerated Master's Program requirements and admissions criteria are set by the Graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Statistics.  Click the link above for more information about requirements, eligibility, and to submit questions to the Statistics program coordinator.

7. Research, Teaching, and Internships for Undergrads

7.1. How can I get involved in research as an undergraduate?

Undergraduate Research Assistantship (URA) Program

This program provides undergraduate math and SDS majors the opportunity to learn about mathematical research by working with a faculty mentor on a project. Duties include solving mathematical problems and writing a final report for web publication. Program participants, called Undergraduate Research Assistants (URAs), typically work for credit. Some faculty may have grant funding enabling them to pay URAs.

Why undergraduate research? 

URAs explore areas of mathematics and statistics that are not typically taught in a classroom setting.

URAs refine their communication skills.

URAs can earn upper-division credit (or sometimes pay) on a flexible schedule.

URAs have experience in their field of study to include on their resumes.

URAs have faculty mentors who can write strong letters of recommendation, based on their close working relationship.

URAs planning to attend graduate school are better prepared for graduate-level research.

URAs may be invited to travel to a conference like SUnMaRC and could win a prize at a conference like the UA Student Showcase for presenting their research results.

URAs might even publish research work in a scholarly journal.

How do I get involved?

First, you will need to find a faculty mentor and decide on a project.  There are several ways to go about this:

  • Look through our list of research project ideas submitted by faculty members. If one of those ideas piques your interest, contact that faculty member to further discuss the possibilities. These faculty have indicated interest in working with undergraduates on research, and may have newer projects available, too.
  • Try the search tool on the University of Arizona Undergraduate Research website ( These search results include faculty from a variety of departments on campus.
  • Enroll in MATH 396C - Undergraduate Research Seminar (1 unit, offered in spring semesters). This workshop is designed to introduce students to research opportunities in mathematics at the U of A.
  • Have a favorite professor? Ask them about their area of research. If it sounds interesting, find out if there might be a way for you to participate.
  • Perhaps you already have one or more faculty members in mind you'd like to work with, but are unsure on what you could work with them, or don't like the particular project they might have on the list mentioned above. Simply approach your favorite faculty member and discuss alternate possibilities with them. Faculty often are open to working on projects that are not on the list.       
  • If you have a particular project in mind but don’t know which faculty member(s) to approach with the idea, the URA Program Coordinator will be glad to help you locate an appropriate faculty member, and the friendly advisors in the Math Center will be equally happy to assist you.

Next, if you will be earning credit for your URA experience, you will need to register through the math department Academic Office; there is a special form needed. The form requires a description of the work to be done, and signatures from your project advisor and major advisor.  If your faculty mentor has funding to pay you, he/she will work with our Business Office to help you set this up.

Program History

The best way to learn about the activities of past URAs is to check out the participants list, which has links to proposals, reports, or sometimes even entire project websites. The URA Program was created in Fall 1996 by William McCallum, who was Associate Head for Undergraduate Studies at that time. Robert Indik was the URA Program Coordinator until 2009, at which time Moysey Brio became URA Program Coordinator.   In 2016, our current Coordinator, Sergey Cherkis, took over.

7.2. What opportunities are offered within the Department of Mathematics?

Teaching Opportunities

Our Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (UTA) programs provides opportunities to earn money or credit while engaging in teaching-related activites.

Tutoring Jobs

The Center for Recruitment and Retention of Mathematics Teachers offers an opportunity to observe dynamic teaching, attend tutor preparation classes for a credit, and tutor middle and high school students for pay.

Other locations on campus that offer tutoring services might also have job opportunities. For a current listing, see the math department tutoring page.

7.3. Are there other opportunities at The University of Arizona?

Many research-related and teaching-related opportunities exist on the UA campus. Looking for a place to start? The University of Arizona Office of Undergraduate Research website has information about how to get started and will help you connect with projects in your area of interest.

Undergraduate Biology Research Program

To learn more, please visit the Undergraduate Biology Research Program website.

UA NASA Space Grant Program

To learn more, please visit the NASA Space Grant Program website.

UA Summer Research Institute

This program, although run by the UA Graduate College, offers opportunities for undergraduate students. To learn more, please visit the Summer Research Institute website.

Teaching Teams Program

The primary goal of the Teaching Teams Program (TTP) is to improve learning on the campus of the University of Arizona. They do this through the creation of a Teaching Team which includes Instructors, Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTA's), and student peer assistants. These student peer assistants are called Preceptors. To learn more about becoming a Preceptor, see the Teaching Teams Program website.

UA Career Services

Besides offering job placement help for current UA students and alumni, UA Career Services also assists current UA students in finding and landing internships and other career-related experiences.

Undergraduate Research Opportunities Consortium (UROC)

The Graduate College offers undergraduate research opportunities in the summer and during the year to help you prepare for the rigors of graduate school. See the Graduate College website for details and availability.

7.4. Semester programs away from the UA

The semester programs are run each year. For details about the programs and deadlines for application, click on the links to the program websites. For additional programs, see the U of A Study Abroad and National Student Exchange websites.

Argonne National Laboratory

Location: Argonne, IL Eligibility: 18 yrs or older; eligible to work in U.S.; cumulative GPA ≥ 2.5; health insurance. Spring or Fall Laboratory Undergraduate Programs available.

Budapest Semesters in Mathematics

Location: Budapest, Hungary Eligibility: students normally have at least sophomore status and are in good academic standing; students are expected to have completed one semester of advanced calculus or abstract algebra.

Math in Moscow

Location: Moscow, Russia Eligibility: good academic standing; completed at least one semester of both advanced analysis and linear algebra; no language requirement (classes are taught in English).

Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) and Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU)

Locations vary. Most programs are restricted based on citizenship/residency status. See website for details on specific programs.

Oxford Study Abroad Programme

Location: Oxford, United Kingdom Eligibility: GPA ≥ 3.0 after two years of university study

Penn State's Mathematics Advanced Study Semesters (MASS) Program

Location: University Park, PA Eligibility: students are typically juniors or seniors during the program; high level of mathematical ability and mastery of mathematical proof techniques. Background: full calculus sequence, basic linear algebra, a transition course with proofs and either advanced calculus or basic real analysis.

Smith College Center for Women in Mathematics Junior Program

The Junior Program is for undergraduate women mathematics majors who want a mathematically intense semester or year among other women. (While the program is intended to take place during the junior year, second-semester sophomores and rising seniors will also be considered.)

U.S. Department of Energy

Check the Scholarships & Internships link from the DoE website to see what's available and where (locations and eligibility restrictions vary). *Note: Some of the Contests & Competitions may also be of interest!

Washington International Studies Council (WISC) Study in Oxford

Location: Oxford, United Kingdom Eligibility: WISC has programs in a variety of subjects including Mathematics, Economics, Biological Sciences, etc. See program descriptions for more on expectations.

7.5. Is funding available to study or participate in research abroad?

The American Mathematical Society has a scholarship program specifically for the Math in Moscow study abroad program.

The Gilman Scholarship is a nationally competitive scholarship that students with economic need can apply for for research or study abroad.

The Boren Scholarship is a nationally competitive scholarship that any student can apply for to do research or study abroad in countries excluding Canada, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand.  Note that language study and future government service are part of the commitment.

UA's Office of Nationally Competitive Scholarships regularly holds information sessions and provides information and assistance with scholarships like Gilman and Boren.

The DIMACS REU has an annual trip to Prague, Czech Republic that a few select students from the REU may be selected to attend.  DIMACS is a paid Research Experience for Undergraduates, funded by NSF.  Projects typically relate to math and computer science.

The Amgen Scholars program provides funding to participate in research at a US institution.  There are many summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs) available each year; we maintain a partial listing on our website.

Some countries have scholarships to study or work specifically in their country. 

Example:  Germany has a DAAD Scholarship for undergraduate students  

8. Activities and Events

8.1. How can I join the MathCats Club?

The MathCats Club

MathCats is the undergraduate club for students of all majors who are interested in mathematics. It provides opportunities for students to get to know each other, share experiences, have fun, and help each other succeed. If you would like to be added to the MathCats listserv, please email with your request from your UA email account or ask one of the current MathCats officers.

8.2. Other Math and SDS Major Activities

9. Graduate School

9.1. Letters of Recommendation

The following are some suggestions on obtaining letters of recommendation:

  1. You should first of all understand that you will need letters of recommendation from faculty. Make a point of talking to faculty, attending office hours with questions. If an instructor is to support your application, then the instructor needs to be able to say something other than you earned an A or B in the course. It is not a good idea to ask an instructor for a letter of recommendation if you did not earn an A or B in the course.
  2. Give the instructor at least two weeks to write a letter of recommendation.
  3. Provide the letter-writer a copy of your resume. You will find a “sample resume” posted at for you to use to create your own resume.  Career Services also has lots of resume resources.
  4. Minimize the amount of work that a letter writer has to do. If a paper copy is required, then provide the addressed envelopes to the letter writer.
  5. If the letters are to go out in email, then send the email addresses electronically to your letter writer in such a way that he/she can easily cut and paste the email addresses into a message.
  6. Follow-up with the letter writer.  A quick thank-you and update on whether you were offered the job, accepted into the graduate program, etc. is always appreciated.  Remember, you may find yourself asking this person for additional letters in future, so it's not a bad idea to stay in touch.